Monday, October 15, 2012

Big House A Big Deal

When it came to college football as I was growing up there was a clear message,

"Don't cheer for MICHIGAN."

It wasn't something that was being forced on me, just merely the way it was. When I was probably around 5 or 6 years old, I took a tour of Notre Dame's campus. It wasn't a recruiting trip (Brian Kelly wasn't there and violations were unheard of). I left there thinking the golden helmets were so neat. My dad bought me a Fighting Irish basketball and warmup jersey. I was set on becoming an Irish fan.



Another team that adopted my fandom was "The Ohio State University," via my adoptive second family the Travis'. Mrs. Travis is a proud alum and we would all watch games in the family room growing up. My first memory is watching Eddie George during the 1995 season, as he rushed for nearly 2,000 yards and 24 touchdowns. I haven't seen a game in "The Shoe" but I plan on it someday.



I realize I'm breaking a lot of rules here when it comes to cheering for certain teams but this week I had the opportunity to visit Michigan Stadium for a "Football Saturday." I've watched countless games on TV, and even attended "The Big Chill" back in 2010 between Michigan/MSU. More than 100,000 people in a stadium for a hockey game?? Unheard of!


Yes, my girlfriend Laurel went to Michigan. She is a proud alum, as she should be. Her fondest memories of college are going to class (no joke) and "Football Saturday." As I mentioned, liking anything that has to do with Michigan is against a lot of what I know, but I also appreciate a passion for sports and a dedicated fan base. 

"If you build it, he will come."
-Field Of Dreams (1989)

On Saturday, the Wolverines celebrated their homecoming against Illinois. As I walked through Michigan's campus, Maize and Blue littered the streets, college kids were playing flippy cup on the lawns (parents alongside). It had the feel of nearly every other college campus I've been on with a home football game. As I continued to walk with Laurel and a handful of her friends, the crowds kept growing, so did the amount of Maize and Blue. We eventually got to the golf course known for the tailgating. At $40 dollars a car, it's a real money maker. Vehicles were strategically setup between the fairways, with thousands of people disregarding the rain.


Thanks to family friends (The Witt's), we tailgated with the finest. Their friend Ernie makes sure everyone is included and fed. A spread of hot dogs, burgers, tacos, chili, ribs, cake, candy, and of course beverages welcomed everyone, even the adopted Wolverines. 

GAME TIME.

After more walking, we reached the stadium. I was hit with tradition instantly. Decked out in my Michigan gear, I felt like I was included in the rich history of Michigan football. They have 72 All-Americans, 3 Heisman trophy winners and 11 national championships. 


When you enter the bleachers, there are dozens and dozens of rows. We sat in the 8th row. Up close to the action, but just a few people out of the more than 110,000 that showed up to support the team. When you get that many people yelling for a similar cause, the atmosphere is electric. That moment, that first touchdown Michigan scored defines college sports and it's following. You can replace the Michigan logo with any other school, pick your favorite. The idea is that we all cheer for something/someone, but in this case to be a part of this particular school and fan base was rewarding. As a graduate of Northern Illinois University, I sat through too many games of 11,000 people watching on. A lot of the time, it was a better team (record wise) than Michigan has had in the last 5 years, with the exception of Michigan's Sugar Bowl win last year. Sometimes the devotion overrides success. It's an understanding that hopefully better days are ahead. 


The Wolverines won their 899th football game, taking down the Illini 45-0. 


Ultimately, I won. As a sports fan, and for choosing the right girl to date to introduce me to such an epic experience. So, going back to growing up with a certain mentality about something? 

Give EVERYTHING a chance. It's worth a try. 


No comments:

Post a Comment