Thursday, October 11, 2012

Canal Jumping. Something I will do.

Canal Jumping. 

This has been the topic of conversation with family and close friends of mine over the last few days. It's apparently quite popular in Amsterdam, probably second to visiting the red light district. When I was in Amsterdam in 2008, mi amigos (that's not what they call them there) didn't explore beyond the city limits. We walked for miles to find a windmill. Hold on, as I type, I'm learning that I have so much more I could tell you about, not just concerning Amsterdam. There is awesome history there, art as well, Heineken flows from the brewery. There was the night of watching the Superbowl, and trying to keep the bar open because it didn't start until two in the morning overseas. 

I digress. 

Canal jumping is something I wish I experienced. ESPN's camera crews traveled and followed the plight of Kenny Mayne, solid situational journalist. an entertainer, comedian. Mayne, was hoping to witness a record of a well known CJ (canal jumper/jumping, situational abbreviation).

The idea is that you run forward, hang on, climb up the pole, while shifting your weight and the pole over the canal...hopefully 10 to 20 meters landing in the grass/sand on the other side. 

Why this is intriguing to me is because of the oddity. Traditional in Amsterdam, mysterious to Americans. I find it amazing that we could stop and think about something that's been done for decades, possibly centuries. In the next year, I will canal jump, its been added to my bucket list. Who's coming with? (To Amsterdam...or a local creek that will pose as a canal) 

Oh, and as my friend Billy Travis pointed out...If you do well you get to kiss the mayor there...You're a champion and she gives you that reward. 

Here's to friendly skies.


1 comment: