Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Calling All Crazies


At the TV station, you never know who is going to call. Fine, that's like many other jobs as well. Quite often, individuals will call with the "most important" story EVER, and tell us it's our responsibility to drop everything we are doing to fix it. Oh mighty journalistic angels we are. 


I was going to write about the person that called today concerning a political race, and how they believed one candidate was being a hypocrite (in politics?? no.....). The focus of his call beyond that was about abortion. It was all over the place, and I'm not going to say any more about it because with the election coming up (that particular race), I don't want to get into the reasoning behind this guys thoughts or lack thereof.  

Instead, I would like to share a transcript of another phone call I took over the summer...with my commentary added. 

June 5, 2012
8:32 am


*Phone Rings*

Ben: Newsroom...(The unlucky only person there that has to answer the phone)
Caller: Hi...um...*crying* I need to talk to someone...
Ben: Ok, who are you looking for?
Caller: You're not going to believe me, but you might know him or see him at the station. (Just fire away)
Ben: Yeah, maybe...who?
Caller: I should tell you a story first because then you'll understand. (I'm banking on no I won't)
Ben: Sounds good. 
Caller: I was drugged 33 years ago, and *sobbing* you'll never guess who saved my life. (I'm guessing you'll tell me)
Ben: Do tell.
Caller: Steven Tyler from Aerosmith. (Didn't see that coming)
Ben: Steven Tyler huh?
Caller: Yeah and I need to thank him. He was like a glowing angel sitting next to me. (Gonna just go ahead and say they were crying the whole time)



Ben: Uh, I don't know him or see him around. (Ahhh how the drugs make sense)
Caller: Well you have FOX at your station and American Idol is on it. (That explains it)
Ben: That isn't taped here.
Caller: It's not? But I need to talk to him, and see him. (The persistence is commendable). 
Ben: Well, we don't have access to Steven Tyler
Caller: Don't you have a computer near you? (I'm not seeing where this is going)
Ben: No (I can't take it anymore)
Caller: I'm not on drugs, I swear (I'm going to kindly disagree)
Ben: Ok, I'll call Steven and tell him you say thank you. What is your name?
Caller: I can't tell you (That makes it hard to leave a fake message)
Ben: I don't think I can help you
Caller: Tell him I love him (not a chance)



Disclaimer: I was not being insensitive, there's only so much crazy anyone can handle.














No comments:

Post a Comment